Do you have to pay immediately if you owe taxes?

If you can't pay the full amount due at the time of filing, consider one of the payment agreements offered by the IRS. A short-term payment plan to pay within 11 to 120 days. If you can't pay in full right away, you may qualify for an additional time (up to 180 days) to pay in full. There is no charge for this full payment; however, interest and applicable penalties will continue to accrue until your liability is paid in full.

Individuals can set up a short-term payment plan by applying for the online payment agreement (OPA) or by calling us at 800-829-1040 (individuals). See telephone support for hours of availability. The goal is to reduce your preliminary tax debt, if possible. You're supposed to pay your entire tax balance when you file Form 4868 to request an extension, depending on what you think you're going to owe based on your original estimates.

Don't worry if you end up overpaying your tax bill. The IRS will send you a refund. If you don't have enough money available to pay the full balance due, at least make a referral as much as you can. Penalties and interest will accrue on any outstanding balance.

The IRS gives eligible taxpayers up to 72 months to fully pay their tax debt. Keep in mind that interest and penalties will continue to accrue until the balance is paid. If you're owed a refund in a later tax year while you're on the plan, the IRS can subtract those payments from what you owe.

Laurie Demiel
Laurie Demiel

Infuriatingly humble beer lover. Friendly pizza scholar. Amateur coffee fanatic. Hardcore coffee guru. Amateur web fan. Passionate entrepreneur.

Leave Message

All fileds with * are required